Our History and Purpose
Dundee Voluntary Action is a Registered Charity No SC 000487 and a Company Limited by Guarantee No: SC093088 and is one of three partners which form the Third Sector Interface known as Dundee Third Sector Interface.
Dundee Voluntary Action began life as Dundee Association for Social Services in 1953. It employed the first social worker in Dundee and a provided fostering services. The change in name was made in 1988 to reflect our changing role as a member organisation promoting community welfare more directly through voluntary action.
During our 50th Anniversary year, a book was commissioned to cover our history. Dundee Voluntary Action: The First Fifty Years (1953-2003) written by Mary Henderson (one of the first fulltime workers in 1953) is available from DVA.
The Purpose of DVA
Dundee Voluntary Action actively promotes the interests and serves the needs of the voluntary and community sector in Dundee.
- Understanding the voluntary sector
- Communicating with the voluntary sector
- Representing the interests of the locally based voluntary sector
- Providing support services
- Promoting Good Practice
- Growing the sector
- OPENNESS in our response, communication, processing of information and consultation
- RESPECT for the range and diversity of organisations and interests within the voluntary sector
- EQUITY in the way we work to redress inequality and disadvantage
- INTEGRITY in the way we conduct our business in an open and professional manner, including confidentiality, honesty, open agendas and informed decision-making
- ACCOUNTABILITY in the way we record, conduct and audit our services and activities.