Voluntary Sector Vacancies: Dundee Women’s Aid-MIA IDAA (Independent Domestic Abuse Advocate) Worker
Job Title: MIA IDAA (Independent Domestic Abuse Advocate) Worker
Accountable to: Women’s Services Manager
Other: Occasional evening and weekend.
PURPOSE OF THE POST
To provide an independent advocacy service to women who have experienced domestic abuse, are assessed to be at very high risk of repeat victimisation and who may have been referred to the MARAC. The post holder will work directly with women, children and young people offering crisis intervention, information, support and advocacy services.
- Provide an advocacy service to victims/survivors of domestic abuse and those referred to the MARAC process. This will involve close liaison with the MARAC administrator and the domestic abuse staff at the Public Protection Unit as well as working closely with other voluntary and statutory services.
- Contact victims/survivors and those referred to MARAC, by telephone or in person (mostly by telephone); offer crisis intervention and if necessary explain the MARAC process and sensitively gather information about the victim/survivor’s views.
- Support the victim/survivor to identify and take action to address any concerns s/he may have for their or their children’s safety and wellbeing. Carry out risk assessments, identify clients at high risk of further assaults/abuse and involve other services and professionals as appropriate ( in line with Child Protection Guidance)
- Manage a complex caseload of clients providing information, advocacy and support in relation to recent experiences of domestic abuse.
- Occasionally attend MARAC meetings, providing input as required ensuring the victim/survivor’s views are heard
- Work with other agencies to ensure safety and support needs of victims and their children are being met. Ensure continuity of care; facilitate referrals for on-going support; and monitor and report on identified gaps between and within services
- Liaise with, develop and sustain good working relationships with agencies across Dundee which have a remit to provide services to those experiencing domestic abuse. Take part in appropriate multi-agency working groups.
- Develop domestic abuse information resources as required
- Maintain accurate manual and computer based client records (in accordance with data protection)
- Provide statistical information, prepare and present verbal /written reports and contribute to effective monitoring and evaluation of MARAC as required
- Comply with relevant health & safety legislation, good practice and the ethos of Dundee Women’s Aid. Take part in staff and service meetings as required and show commitment to on-going personal and professional development. Self-service – the ability to carry out your own filing, photocopying and IT services.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably requested within the overall business objectives of the organisation.
This job profile is intended as an outline of the responsibilities and qualities required for the post, and does not form part of terms and conditions of employment.
The post-holder will be expected to carry out other duties from time to time which are broadly consistent with the duties as detailed above.